- Date Discovered:
- 09 October 2018
- Microsoft Windows is prone to an information-disclosure vulnerability. Attackers can exploit this issue to obtain sensitive information that may aid in launching further attacks.
- Microsoft Excel Viewer 2007 Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac
- Microsoft Office 2019 for 32-bit editions
- Microsoft Office 2019 for 64-bit editions
- Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus for 32-bit Systems
- Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus for 64-bit Systems
- Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3
- Microsoft Office Word Viewer
- Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2007
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for 32-bit Systems SP2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems SP2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems SP2
Block external access at the network boundary, unless external parties require service.Filter access to the affected computer at the network boundary if global access isn't needed. Restricting access to only trusted computers and networks might greatly reduce the likelihood of a successful exploit.
Deploy network intrusion detection systems to monitor network traffic for malicious activity.Deploy NIDS to monitor network traffic for signs of anomalous or suspicious activity such as unexplained incoming and outgoing traffic. This may indicate exploit attempts or activity that results from successful exploits.
Do not follow links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.Web users should be cautious about following links to sites that are provided by unfamiliar or suspicious sources. Filtering HTML from emails may help remove a possible vector for transmitting malicious links to users.
Lin Wang of Beihang University