- 22 November 2002
- 13 February 2007
- Also Known As:
- ~OJ/j [McAfee], Trival-based [KAV]
- Systems Affected:
Ana.174 is a simple DOS virus that infects the first .com file in the folder from which the virus is executed.
NOTE: These instructions are for all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and delete all files that are detected as Ana.174.
For details on how to do this, read the following instructions.
To update the virus definitions:
All virus definitions receive full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response before being posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Run LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions. These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually Wednesdays) unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, look at the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) line at the top of this write-up.
- Download the definitions using the Intelligent Updater. Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). They must be downloaded from the Symantec Security Response Web site and installed manually. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, look at the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater) line at the top of this write-up.
Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available here. For detailed instructions on how to download and install the Intelligent Updater virus definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site, click here.
To scan for and delete the infected files:
- Start your Symantec antivirus program, and make sure that it is configured to scan all files.
- Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
- Symantec enterprise antivirus products: Read the document How to verify a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan All Files.
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as infected with Ana.174, click Delete.