- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- Systems Affected:
Adware.Roimoi will continually launch Internet Explorer popups by contacting www.popuppers.com.
Advertising pop-ups are displayed.
This program has been reportedly downloaded from a Web site.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 16 July 2019 revision 006
- Initial Daily Certified version 13 March 2004
- Latest Daily Certified version 16 July 2019 revision 020
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 13 March 2004
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Adware.Roimoi performs the following actions:
- Creates the registry key:
- Launches Internet Explorer pop-up windows with advertisments.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Restart the computer in Safe mode
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.Roimoi.
- Delete the value that was added to the registry.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Restarting the computer in Safe mode
Shut down the computer and turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode ."
3. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start your Symantec antivirus program, and then run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Adware.Roimoi, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, note the path and file name. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.
WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry ," for instructions.
- Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
- Type regedit
Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
- Navigate to and delete the key: