- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Adware.Cax is a Browser Helper Object that contains code to download and execute a file from the Internet.
One or more files are detected as Adware.Cax.
You must manually execute a file to install this program.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 26 January 2004
- Latest Daily Certified version 26 January 2015 revision 023
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 28 January 2004
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When Adware.Cax is executed, it performs the following actions:
- Registers itself as a Browser Helper Object.
- May download and execute a file from the internet.
There are reports that other versions of this software may function as a dialer.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
Note: Removing this adware component from the system will likely cause the program that installed it to not function as intended. The uninstaller generally identifies the programs that will not work after uninstallation.
- Update the definitions.
- Restart in Safe mode.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.Cax.
- Delete the value that was added to the registry.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Restarting the computer in Safe mode
Shut down the computer and turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode ."
- Start Norton AntiVirus and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files. For more information, read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as with Adware.Cax, click Delete.
WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry ," for instructions.
Note: This is done to make sure that all the keys are removed. The keys may not be there if the uninstaller removed them.
- Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
- Type regedit
Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
- Navigate to and delete the key: