- 17 June 2002
- 13 February 2007
- Also Known As:
- W97M/Verlor.src, VBS.Verlor.A
VBS.Verlor is a part of the W97M.Verlor macro virus. If the .vbs file is executed, it attempts to infect the Normal.dot template file.
Norton AntiVirus will detect the infected Microsoft Word documents as W97M.Verlor and repair them.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 17 June 2002
- Latest Rapid Release version 28 September 2010 revision 054
- Initial Daily Certified version 17 June 2002
- Latest Daily Certified version 28 September 2010 revision 036
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 19 June 2002
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
To remove this virus:
- Update the virus definitions, and run a full system scan.
- Repair Microsoft Word documents that are detected as infected by W97M.Verlor.
- Delete files that are detected as infected by VBS.Verlor.
For details on how to do this, read the following instructions.
To scan with Norton AntiVirus and repair or delete the infected files:
- Obtain the most recent virus definitions. There are two ways to do this:
- Run LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions. These virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response and are posted to the LiveUpdate servers one time each week (usually Wednesdays) unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, look at the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) line at the top of this write-up.
- Download the definitions using the Intelligent Updater. Intelligent Updater virus definitions have undergone full quality assurance testing by Symantec Security Response. They are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). They must be downloaded from the Symantec Security Response Web site and installed manually. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, look at the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater) line at the top of this write-up.
Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available here. For detailed instructions on how to download and install the Intelligent Updater virus definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site, click here.
- Start Norton AntiVirus (NAV), and make sure that NAV is configured to scan all files.
- NAV Consumer products: Read the document How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
- NAV Enterprise products: Read the document How to verify a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan All Files.
- Run a full system scan.
- If files are detected as infected by W97M.Verlor, click Repair.
- If files are detected as infected by VBS.Verlor, click Delete.