- 23 December 2002
- 13 February 2007
- Systems Affected:
VBS.K-Osb@mm is a mass mailing worm written in Visual Basic Script that spreads using Microsoft Outlook. It mails itself to everyone in the address book of the infected computer.
The email is always:
Subject: Check Out This Cool Screensaver
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 24 December 2002
- Latest Rapid Release version 28 September 2010 revision 054
- Initial Daily Certified version 24 December 2002
- Latest Daily Certified version 28 September 2010 revision 036
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 24 December 2002
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
These instructions are for all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as VBS.K-Osb@mm.
For further details, read the following instructions.
Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
- Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain the virus definitions. These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate) line at the top of this writeup.
- Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater. The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater) line at the top of this writeup.
The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available here. For detailed instructions on how to download and install the Intelligent Updater virus definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site, click here.
Scanning for and deleting the infected files
- Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
- For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files.
- For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document How to verify a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan All Files.
- Run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as infected with VBS.K-Osb@mm, click Delete.