- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- Systems Affected:
Download.Adware connects to the Internet and downloads other adware installers or components.
One or more files are detected as Download.Adware.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 22 August 2019 revision 009
- Initial Daily Certified version 17 March 2004
- Latest Daily Certified version 02 August 2019 revision 002
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 17 March 2004
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Download.Adware does the following:
- Goes to a specific Web or FTP site and attempts to download adware installers, or their components.
- May execute them or install them, after the files are downloaded.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Restart the computer in Safe mode.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Download.Adware.
1. To update the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. To restart the computer in Safe mode
Shut down the computer and turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode ."
3. To scan for and delete the files
- Start your Symantec antivirus program, and then run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Download.Adware, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file name. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.
- Restart the computer in Normal mode. For instructions, read the section on returning to Normal mode in the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode."