- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Adware.FastSeek is a Browser Helper Object, which includes a tool bar for auto fill in, and displays pop-up advertising on your computer.
The pop-up ads are displayed.
- The files are detected as Adware.FastSeek.
- The Internet Explorer home page is changed.
Usually from visiting Web sites.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 26 January 2004
- Latest Daily Certified version 17 January 2008 revision 033
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 26 January 2004
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
Adware.FastSeek is a Browser Helper Object that includes an autofill function and toolbar plugin for Microsoft Internet Explorer.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the definitions.
- Close all open browser windows
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.FastSeek.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Closing all open browser windows
Since Adware.FastSeek functions as a Microsoft Internet Explorer plugin, it is necessary to close all the open browser windows to remove it. If you are reading this writeup in Internet Explorer, print this writeup using our printer-friendly option at the top of the page, or write down the following instructions, and then close all the open browser windows.
3. Scanning for and deleting the files
- Start your Symantec antivirus program and run a full system scan.
- If any files are detected as Adware.FastSeek, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file name. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.